What is an Agreement in Principle?
An Agreement in Principle, or AIP, is the first step to getting a mortgage. It lets you know how much you could borrow, so you can look at homes in your price range.
It only takes 15 minutes
You'll get a decision straight away between 6am and 10pm Monday to Saturday, or 6am and 9pm Sunday. Otherwise we'll let you know the next day.
Once you've got your AIP, you can apply for a mortgage straight away.
Before you start
It'll help us give you the right decision, first time.
- the exact details of your income
- details of your outgoings
- your addresses for the last 3 years
It won't touch your credit score
That's right. With an AIP, we'll only do a soft credit check which won't change your credit score.
Find out more about how we use your personal details.
Only continue if you are
- 18 or over and live in the UK
- buying or remortgaging a property in the UK
- paid your income in pound sterling
Call or visit us in branch if
- more than two people are applying
- the mortgage you want runs into retirement
- you want a buy to let mortgage
- you're buying a home as part of a scheme, for example Help to Buy
Call us on 0800 783 3534 or book a branch appointment
Other things to know
We only offer residential mortgages for you or your family from a limited range of mortgages from Lloyds Bank plc.
An AIP is not a guarantee. You need to make a full mortgage application to confirm the amount you can borrow.
Anything we agree is based on you applying for a mortgage, where we'll check details like your income and credit score.
We'll keep hold of any details you give us. More about this.
Ready to start?